Sunday, April 3, 2011

here is a story from gaza

CHILDREN AFTER THE WAR

Rose al-dwaik
Gaza

War is known by the huge effect which can make, if it waged on a country or even a
small piece of ground, and as it's said "WAR IS WAR".
One of the most affected classes of this society is Children, and as we know it should be the most considerable class so we specified it with our activities.
Therefore I managed with a group of my colleges a lot of abreaction activities for affected children to help them, to abreact and to empty their feelings, after what they saw and faced in this unjust war. when I started my workshop with them, I was shocked by their silence, quiet, and there rejection to play, talk, or even to change their places, there move were much less than the normal status , Especially those children under ten age , I gave them papers and colors, then asked them to draw…
The majority of them drown tanks, weapons, funerals and things related to war. The
used colors varied between black, red, and sometimes brown.
So firstly, I preferred to start my workshop with a drama activity, to calm them down
and to break their fear, I asked them to imagine themselves in a comfortable place,
such like a beautiful garden, they are surrounded by roses, playing and doing all what they want.
Then, we discussed there drawings together, I didn't stop any of them because they
started speaking at last. It was a good entrance to hold a conversation about what they faced and how did they feel, among this war, the majority of them participated in.

After listening to them I started to explain that we are living under occupation that
known by its savage deeds, also it was very important to emphasize on religious opinion about this war. "Our dead people are martyrs, god loves them and they will live in an endless comfort and bliss in paradise, they will be happy …"

Then, I succeeded to make them involved in a game, almost they all were involved in,
I've noticed that screaming or giving them the space to scream , dance, jump and play
was a good way to help them, to express their feelings and to empty their repression.
So I gave them that space, and they interacted perfectly.
And I trust that you will admit that parents play a very important role to help their
children to come over what they faced, so we targeted a lot of homes and we gave
mothers an important instructions about "how to deal with your child" after such
circumstances. Another important point that I have learned from my work with children, that I should be so friendly, and I shouldn’t shout or rise my voice.
I was always smiling , sending jokes and playing with them, because if they loved you
they will participate and never be hesitant to speak about their feelings, also I kept motivating them by words like "excellent, great, good", or by giving them presents or roses and sometimes by clapping hands for them.
Finally we should keep on our efforts to decrease their repression and to help them to come over what happened in this war, because they are all victims, uninvolved enough in this life to understand the reasons of such war.
Besides they are the bright side of our life, so we should rear them, towards the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment